Energy Audits:    
Energy Conservation Audit and Disclosure (ECAD) Ordinance for Single-Family Homes
The Energy Conservation Audit and Disclosure (ECAD) ordinance requires that before the sale of their
home, owners of a single-family home must have an energy audit performed on the property.
(Your property must be inside the City of Austin AND receive your electric service from the City to be
mandated by this Ordinance)
If a home needs an audit, the seller must provide a copy of the audit to the purchaser or prospective
purchaser. The auditor must provide a copy of the audit to Austin Energy.

Homes meeting any one of the following conditions do not need an audit. The home:
* Is less than 10 years old at the time of sale
* Has received at least three energy-efficiency improvements or a total of $500 in rebates through the
Austin Energy Home Performance with ENERGY STAR® program within 10 years before the sale.
These improvements include: increasing attic insulation to R38; installing solar screens, solar film, or
low-E windows; adding radiant barriers in the attic; replacing or insulating ducts; reducing air
infiltration and sealing ducts; and installing new qualifying HVAC systems.
* Has received energy-efficiency improvements through the Austin Energy Free Home Improvements
program within 10 years before the sale.
(Austin Energy offers free home-energy improvements only to customers with low-to-moderate
* Is a condominium
* Is manufactured housing (a mobile home) built on a permanent chassis and designed for use
without a permanent foundation.
* Changes ownership and the transfer of the title occurs under one of the following:
o Foreclosure sale, trustee's sale, or deed in lieu of foreclosure
o Pre-foreclosure sale, in which the seller reached an agreement with the mortgage holder to sell the
property for an amount less than the amount owed on the mortgage
o Threat or exercise of eminent domain
o Gift from one family member to another family member without consideration
o Court order or probate proceedings
o Decree of legal separation or dissolution of marriage or property settlement agreement incidental
to such a decree
For more information, visit City Of Austin Website:
welcome to:
Home Critique Property Inspections
ECAD Energy Audits